Friday, November 3, 2017

#871 PIATNIK - AUTO-QUARTETT (Nr. 298) (1963)



What an amazing deck of cards I got! This is now one of the oldest car quartetts I own.

The game has 9 families, some of them are car types (oldtimers, trucks and racing) while other are countries (Germany, Italy, France, Great Britain, U.S.A. and a mixture of other countries).







Each car or vehicle is drawn, not photographed, over a (one or two) solid color(s) background. The result is amazing, a real design from the 50s and early 60s.

These set came in a plastic box and is a reedition. Aparently there are earlier versions from 1958 and 1961, I guess the earliest, if not both, came in the cardboard box. Note that in the “Racers” family, there are two models that indicate 1963.
According to Quartett-Blog, there are nine different set for this reference number:
  • 1959-1962: Auto-Quartett, with red Citroen ID 19 (4 different sets)
  • 1963-1967: Auto-Quartett, with yellow Citroen ID 19 (5 different sets)

Some (very few) cards seem to be different from one set to the other, but unfortunately, I have only this one, so I cannot compare.

The back of the cards show a tyre.



FACTS AND FIGURES:
  • Name: AUTO QUARTETT (Ref. 298)
  • Year: 1963
  • Company: Piatnik (Austria)

4 comments:

  1. Good Find. (I'm pretty sure I have this in my collection, but it was quite expensive to buy..long ago)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, I have already forgotten how much I paid for it, but it was not much. Depending on the version it may be rarer or more common. This one in soap-box is newer than the one in the matchbox-style box, but this does not necessarlily means it is less expensive.
      I don't know as much about card decks to know which are more expensive than others. I just enjoy having them and looking at them.

      Delete
  2. I've got the same set but from 1967. Any idea what the value is now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Difficult to say, there are so many variants of it... The best way to find this out is going to ebay, mark the "completed listings" checkbox and try to find exactly the deck you have. Depending on the condition and the version, the price can go from 10 to 120 euro, that's a big range of prices! Sorry, that is all I can help. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete